Mandalay Attraction

Mandalay Hill

Just outside the North of downtown, Mandalay Hill which summit is 230 m above the surrounding plain is the natural watch-tower for the visitors to watch sunrise or sunset over the city plains. At the bottom in front of the southwest entrance are the two immense statue of Lions guard the holy hill. During when Buddha was alive while on one of his visits to Myanmar, the Buddha with his disciple Ananda climbed Mandalay Hill and prophesied that a great city would be founded below the hill and also pointed the place of that future city. Then a huge standing Buddha image was built at the place where Buddha stood, with his hand pointing to the Royal Palace.



Mandalay Royal Palace

The Mandalay Palace , located in Mandalay, Myanmar, is the last royal palace of the last Burmese monarchy. The palace was constructed, between 1857 and 1859 as part of King Mindon's founding of the new royal capital city of Mandalay. The plan of Mandalay Palace largely follows the traditional Burmese palace design, inside a walled fort surrounded by a moat. The palace itself is at the centre of the citadel and faces east. All buildings of the palace are of one storey in height. The number of spires above a building indicated the importance of the area below. Mandalay Palace was the primary royal residence of King Mindon and King Thibaw, the last two kings of the country. The complex ceased to be a royal residence and seat of government on 28 November 1885 when, during the Third Anglo-Burmese War, troops of the Burma Field Force entered the palace and captured the royal family. The British turned the palace compound into Fort Dufferin, named after the then viceroy of India. Throughout the British colonial era, the palace was seen by the Burmese as the primary symbol sovereignty and identity. Much of the palace compound was destroyed during World War II by allied bombing; only the royal mint and the watch tower survived. A replica of the palace was rebuilt in the 1990s with some modern materials. Today, Mandalay Palace is a primary symbol of Mandalay and a major tourist destination.



Kuthodaw Pagoda

Kuthodaw Pagoda also known as the Maha Lawka Marazein Pagoda. The pagoda complex has been dubbed with 'the world's biggest book', standing around the central stupa are 729 marble slabs on which are inscribed the entire Tripitaka. Each slab is housed in its own individual small stupa.



Sandamuni pagoda

Sandamani Pagoda is a Buddhist stupa located southwest of Mandalay Hill. It was commissioned by King Mindon Min in 1874 as a memorial to Mindon Min's younger brother, Kanaung Mintha, who was assassinated along with 3 princes, Malun, Saku, and Maingpyin, during the 1866 Myingun Prince rebellion. The pagoda was erected at the provisional location of the royal palace, the Nanmyay Bontha. This pagoda contains the graves of the Kanaung, Sagu Mintha, Malun and Maingpyin Princes. It also contains an iron image of the Buddha cast by Bodawpaya in 1802, and removed from Amarapura by Mindon in 1874. The statue reportedly weighs 40,924.8 pounds (18,563.2 kg).



Kyauktawgyi Pagoda

Kyauktawgyi Pagoda is a large Buddha statue curved out of a single marble block. The marble block from the mines of nearby Sagyin hill was so colossal that is required 10,000 men labouring for 13 days to transport it from a canal to the current site. Ornamented with royal attire, the image was completed and dedicated in 1865. Around the shrine are figures of the Buddha's 80 disciples, arranged in groups of 20 on each of the four sides.



Shwenandaw Kyaung (Golden Palace Monastery)

Located close to the Atumashi Kyaung. This monastery is of great interest, not only as a fine example of a traditional Burmese wooden monastery, but as a fragile reminder of the old Mandalay Palace. At one time, this building was part of the palace complex and was used as an apartment of King Mindon and his chief queen. After King Mindon's death, King Thibaw had dismantled and reassembled on its present site in 1880 as a monastery.



Maha Myat Muni Buddha Image

Located at the Southwest of the town the Mahamuni Buddha Image is the highly venerated. The 4m high-seated image is cast in bronze and weigh 6.5 tons, which it's crown is decorated with diamonds, rubies, and sapphires. Mahamuni Buddha Image was being cast in front of the Buddha himself it can say Mahamuni Buddha Image is the portrait of Buddha and the face is most revered. Every morning at 4:30AM, a team of monks washes the face and brushes the teeth. Since Myanmar Buddhists are so devout countless thousands of devotees apply gold leaf to gain merit, the image has completely covered with 15 cm thick gold and original shape is distorted.



U Bein Bridge

1.2 km long teak bridge, which was built in Amarapura era by Mayor U Bein. The bridge has 984 teak posts. Since the bridge was built across the Taungthaman Lake, the cool breeze across the lake give refreshment to whom take leisure under the shade of the big trees grown around the lake and the bridge. This is also the sunset viewpoint.



Mahagandhayon Monastery

Mahagandhayon Monastery is at the start of the U Bein bridge, home to several thousand young monks. It was founded around 1914 and is renowned as a center for monastic study and strict religious discipline. Distinguish character of this large monastery is the systematic manner of the monks during the lunchtime at 10:30 hrs. These several thousand of monks eating silently and systematically in accordance with Buddha teachings.



Bagaya Monastery

The entire monastery is built of teak wood and supported by 267 teak posts. It has eight brick stairways. This place is famous for its fine and exquisite carvings.



MENU